Social and recreational activities provide a sense of fulfilment and accomplishment, enhance social skills and boost self-esteem.
City councils, community centres, Disability Information Centres and NASC have information about social, recreational and community groups in your area. Local self-advocacy groups such as People First may have useful information too.
Enabling Good Lives aims to develop new ways of supporting people with disabilities and their families. Check availability in your region with the NASC.
Other options to explore:
- Join the action on IHC Live, IHC’s online channel which streams free interactive music, dance and drama sessions straight into your home.
- Find out what Special Olympic sports are available in your area.
- See what’s on offer at Starjam, a not-for-profit where young New Zealanders with disabilities unleash their full potential through the magic of music, dance and performance.
- Have a look at the Disabled Person’s Assembly Information Exchange.
- See what’s happening on the NZ Down Syndrome Association website.