If you would like to make a complaint about IDEA Services, please click here.

If you have any concerns about the services IHC provides, please tell us so we can act on it. This includes our services provided by IDEA Services, Choices NZ and Accessible Properties.

If you are worried about something, talk it over with one of our staff. The person you talk to will take responsibility for handling the problem, or will make sure it is handled by someone who can deal with it.

What you can expect

We will:

Taking things further

If things are not getting dealt with, you should take your concerns to the Area or Regional Service Manager in IDEA Services or a National or General Manager in IHC, Choices NZ or Accessible Properties.

If you are still not happy, take your concerns to the General or National Manager.

If you have concerns about Accessible Properties, there is more information on the Accessible Properties website.

Going to someone outside the IHC Group

You can take your concerns to the Health and Disability Commissioner. It has advocates who can help you. These people are independent and provide a free service to people using health or disability support services. They help to resolve specific complaints.

If you have any concerns, please call IHC toll free on 0800 442 442.

Complaints brochure

More information on the complaints process