Work and Income provides financial help for people with disabilities and their families. They can be contacted via Work and Income NZ or by calling 0800 559 009. You can apply for many benefits online or you can ask for an appointment to see a case manager. The Work and Income website provides information about current benefit rates and limits. Some benefits and allowances are income-tested.
If you are meeting with a staff member for the first time you will need to take the following documents to your meeting:
- Birth certificate
- Personal identification such as a bank card, passport, driver licence, RealMe or 18+ card
- Bank account details
- A letter from Inland Revenue with your IRD number on it
If you are applying for the Supported Living Payment you will need:
- A medical certificate from your doctor
- A completed Work and Income self-assessment questionnaire
- Existing reports or assessments (for example a NASC or report from a specialist)
If you are applying for the Disability Allowance and/or the Child Disability Allowance, your doctor must fill in a Work and Income Disability Allowance medical certificate and you will need proof of the health-related costs.
If you are concerned that Work and Income staff do not understand your disability requirements, ask for a Work and Income Disability Advisor to be involved.