As a way of providing support and advice to families and introducing you to the IHC Library, we would like to give you a free book relevant to your child's needs. This is available to families with a child or family member with autism or an intellectual disability who is aged 0–24 years old.
To get a copy of a book fill out the form or get in touch with us.
List of books
- Now I See: Through parents' eyes: the enriching journey of raising children with Down syndrome by Angela Blakston, Carolyn McDiarmid, and Justin Ridler (will be sent to parents of children twelve years old and under with Down syndrome).
- Playing, Laughing and Learning with Children on the Autism Spectrum by Julia Moor (will be sent to parents of children under five years old who have been diagnosed with autism by a health professional).
- Helping children with autism spectrum conditions through everyday transitions: small changes, big challenges by John Smith, Jane Donlan and Bob Smith (will be sent to parents of children between the ages of 6 and 11 years old who have been diagnosed with autism by a health professional).
- 60 social situations and discussion starters to help teens on the autism spectrum deal with friendships, feelings, conflict and more: seeing the big picture by Lisa A Timms (will be sent to parents of children 12 to 16 years old who have been diagnosed with autism by a health professional).
- Building a Joyful Life with your child who has Special Needs by Nancy J. Whiteman & Linda Roan-Yager. A more general book about intellectual disability for parents of children up to 12 years old who do not have autism or Down Syndrome.
- Believing in Better: steps to an ordinary life for your family member with a disability: a workbook by Belonging Initiative for families with a child 13 – 24 years old.
The project helps IHC connect with families right from when their child is very young and continue throughout their lives. Our library has a wealth of information and resources for families, all funded by generous New Zealanders who donate to us.
Get your copy
Contact the library for more information and to receive your free book. You can also call 0800 442 442 and press 3 for the library.
The IHC Library
Find out more information about our Library